Mount Batur volcano is one of the sacred mountain according to Hindu believe. Mount Batur is located in Batur village, Kintamani District, Bali, Indonesia. Mount Batur (Gunung Batur) is 1717 m above sea level can be summited by physically fit hikers in around 2 hours.
The volcano is still active today as Balinese all over the island who still remember the great eruption of 1917 will testify. It claimed thousands of lives and destroyed hundreds of temples. Old people might tell you this was “the year when the world shook” Other eruptions have taken place since, forcing the local population to be relocated, along with several of their temples including one of the main Bali temples, Pura Ulun Danu. Initially inside the huge crater, this temple has been relocated to the top of the ridge overlooking it. Here it now offers an impressive view of Mount Batur. The fantastic view of Mount Batur and Lake Batur can be seen from Kintamani while having lunch at the local restaurant. Please be assure to arriving in Kintamani by lunch time as it is sometimes cloudy during the day.
The temperature is usually about 15 degrees cooler than down on the coast, and even more so at night. That, coupled with the often cloudy and drizzly weather, makes a sweater or jacket advisable in the day time and vital after sunset.
How to get to Kintamani on your Bali Tour :
- 2 hours from Denpasar
- 1 hour from Ubud
What you can see around Kintamani (Batur Volcano) :
- Pura Ulun Danau Batur, one of the most important temples in Bali .The temple was rebuilt up on the caldera ridge in 1926 after an eruption of Mount Batur destroyed the old one down in the crater. There are a large number of shrines, but most visitors are drawn to the huge eleven roofed meru in the inner courtyard.
- Lake Batur, It lies down in the feet of Mount Batur and Mount Abang. The surrounding of the lake is a favorite place for picks you self up.At lake Batur you can see the scenic view and feel cool atmosphere. Bangli’s mountainous region centers around the spectacular volcanic crater (or caldera) of Batur. And it is the largest crater lake on the island of Bali and is a good source of fish.
- Penglipuran Traditional Village, is a traditional village which has their own character, belong to the District Kubu – Sub-district Kubu and Bangli regency. The beauty of the village and the surrounding act that the Pengelipuran village is untouchable village by the modernization era.
- Kehen Temple, this temple lies at the southern foot of bangle hill at the north east of the city of bangle. The temple is luxurious with a veranda facing to the south. It is located near Sasana Budaya Bangli, just few kilometers from the main city of Bangli.
- Bali Aga Village at Trunyan, on the eastern shore of the lake by boat from Kedisan. the key attraction is the cemetery. Ancient customs retained by the Bali Aga here include the open burial of dead bodies in a pit covered by just some light cloth .One of the best things about a visit to Trunyan is the views of Mount Batur from the eastern shore of the lake. This provides a very different perspective from the usual view from the crater rim.
The activities around Kintamani (Batur Volcano) :
- Climbing Mount Batur, a climb to the summit of Mount Batur – 1,717 meters and still an active volcano. The climb to see the sunrise from Mount Batur is still the most popular trek. It can get crowded up there in the morning to watch the sunrise is a great experience for more energetic travelers.
Maybe this post can explain why Kintamani can be the best Bali Tour Trip and most favorite tourist destinations.